Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Soon, it Will be Just Another Empty Room

... or atleast one furnished with completely different things suited to the owner's liking. Paintings were taken down, furniture moved out, but memories not erased.

I have this strange feeling of attachment to my boyfriend's soon-to-be ex house. He's moving to a new, bigger and better place after living in his house for almost five or six years. I mean, his place for the small moment is beautiful, but his next place is larger than life.
It's weird: I think I'm going to miss this house more than his parents are, just by the way they talk about leaving, and the new house. I can't say the same for my boyfriend, since he says that he's going to miss it. He grew up a lot here, and has had his share of some fun memories.
The memories are why I'm going to miss this house.. this house that doesn't even belong to me. But I think I have valid reason to; many "firsts" happened here.
It's difficult not being able to go back to the place where these things happened; where our relationship transformed into what it is today. This is the first house which I associated with the one I eventually fell in love with.

So many things to remember.

First kiss in the basement near the piano.
First legit surprise party.
First time using the barbeque to make dinner for his family.
First time for... other things...
First time I knew I was in love.

AH. So, as I left his house tonight, I was a little sad. It's always hard leaving something behind that meant something to you. Even if it's not actually yours, I guess it's still possible to develop emotional attachment.

So:

Dear Old House,

Be nice to the new owners, and don't come up with too many problems for them. No leaks, no structural problems, no availability for pests. You will be missed, no matter how excited they all were for the new house.


... I wish I could warn the new owners not to think about what happened in the master bathroom one rainy afternoon...


Wow. I think I've hit creepy rock bottom... you know, writing about my boyfriend's soon-to-be ex house.

For the win.

Well, as lame as I am.

- K

No comments:

Post a Comment