Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Stand Up

... because discrimination, bullying and rejecting people who are considered "different" is not okay. It is so far from it.

Specifically, I'm talking about people and their sexuality. For so long, the norm of sexuality was being straight, and people think it's the only way. But we need to wake up and see the change.

I'm writing this from the perspective of someone who is straight. I didn't come to that conclusion automatically; I've taken some consideration into the possibilities. But I know who I am, and society easily accepts it. So why can't they do the same for bisexuals/gays/lesbians/transgendered?
In recent times I've had more exposure to the new world, as I call it, which consists of more and more people coming out to be who they really are. I like this new world. Fortunately, I was brought into the new world to be accepting of everyone, no matter what. I think people need to be accepting too.

Honestly, LGBTs are not different than anyone else. They shouldn't even be called different, just because being lesbian, gay, transgendered or bisexual is slightly less common than being straight. Then again, maybe it isn't, and never was.
I think the thought of being LGBT is not a new idea, but people are less afraid to come out than ever before. Which, in fact, is a step in the right direction.
But there are still those who cannot easily accept this idea. They were fed thoughts of supposed normalcy for too long: a man born a man is a man who marries a woman born a woman. But, in this new world, things are different.

I can't say I know exactly what it's like, but all I can infer is that to follow the supposed "normal" trend of everyone else doesn't feel right for someone who is lesbian, gay, transgender, or bisexual.

You need to do whatever makes you feel happy. People like me will be here for you. Although there are those who say horrible things like "THIS IS SO HOMO" (like there's something wrong with homosexuality) or that there is something wrong with homosexuals. Just know this: there is something wrong with THEM, not you.

For those out there who are struggling with deciding your own sexuality, considering bisexuality, or dealing with coming out... two words.

Be strong.

Someone loves you.

Well, as lame as I am.

- K

No comments:

Post a Comment