Sunday, June 6, 2010

Concentration

... is a concept easier said than done. I've learned that today while trying to study for upcoming exams.
It has actually become a real effort to try and buckle down hit the books. I had to mentally prepare myself for 24 hrs before hand. Have fun today. Go to work tomorrow. Come home. Study.
Was it always this way?
I swear, when I was younger, studying for two hours straight was no big deal. What else was I going to do anyway? I didn't have a phone to text people, or facebook, at that point. I could sit in front a computer and even use the internet without somehow navigating towards all those time waster sites (youtube, facebook, twitter... you know who you are).
Another common mistake? Multi-tasking. Ever have an msn conversation go like this?

You: Hey. What are you up to?

Friend: Oh, you know, doing homework.

Really? I've tried that... doesn't really work. Usually, it's brainless stuff, like math questions or spanish grammar I'm doing while maintaining a conversation. But you don't really absorb what you're supposed to be learning. I can't even imagine trying to memorize something while simultaneously listening to your friend describe her latest pair of high tops.

Oh well. Experience gives me hope: as in, I know so many people who manage to pull it off in the end, sacrificing many lost hours of sleep.

I treasure sleep. So, my goal? Trying to muster my best brains over the next two weeks for studying.
If you have the same goal, I wish all the best luck to you.

If not, then... good luck with that.

Well, as lame as I am.

- K

1 comment: