Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Employment

... sucks if you're a teenager. Well, except for a select few who swing THE perfect job with THE perfect hours and THE perfect boss. But it usually doesn't happen that way.
I've learned that trying to find a job and then deal with having a job is a somewhat difficult task. It all started when I was old enough to send out my first resume, at age 15. I was so hopeful. I had good experience, good marks, required skills... I thought, how hard could it be?
Well, I picked up approximately 10 job applications, filled them out in my best penmanship (thanks grade three) and sent them in. And then the waiting game began.
No one, except one place, called back. 1 out of ten. 10%. I was devastated.
Well.. not really. But I did not understand why I couldn't get anything else. The one that called back is now my current employer. I guess I was "lucky" that way... but I still didn't understand.
I'd heard that a lot of people, especially teenagers, were having trouble finding employment. "The Downfall of our economy" was the most popular reason. So, the more people unemployed, the more competition I was up against. The more qualified competition. It's really unfair. It's not my fault I don't have university qualifications, or tons of previous experience, or even a high school degree. SORRY I WAS ONLY BORN LESS THAN 20 YEARS AGO.
So.. my wish is that maybe... some companies could find it in their hearts to hire a couple of poor teenagers?
Ugh. No chance. Companies are money, not human. It's all about the money... so they don't care about employing teens.. just as long as they have the most "qualified" person for the job.



(Although, who needs a university degree to flip a hamburger?)

Which makes business sense, of course. So basically, until our economy picks up, or being a teenager makes you the most qualified... we're screwed.

Well, at least we have parents. Athough, they only give us the minimum amount of money. That's the one tiny little upside of having a job is the MONEY. FREEDOM. Even though, most of the time, from my experience, teens get stuck with the crappiest hours, or none at all.

I wish we could live in a world with no money and rainbows and puppies.

Well, as lame as I am.

- K

No comments:

Post a Comment